Three interactive sessions using the Balanced Scorecard
methodology to define, plan and integrate your strategy
A Three-Session Strategy Workshop
Many organisations are faced with a difficult challenge when asked to define their strategic objectives. The people responsible are so driven by day to day activities that they have little time to engage in strategy. It is at times like this that a ‘break-through’ action is required. Using a skilled external facilitator to drive a strategy workshop can make a real difference.
The three sessions cover a five-step process as shown in the diagram below. By the end of the process, you will create a strategy scorecard similar to the example at the end of this page.
Intrafocus consultants have decades of experience in strategy workshop facilitation. We have developed a three session strategy workshop based on the strategic principles found in the Balanced Scorecard Methodology. The methodology, which examines the four focus areas (or Perspectives) of Finance, Customer, Internal Processes and Organisational Capacity builds a ‘balanced’ strategy through the use of facilitated exercises. The three sessions take place during the mornings of three consecutive days.
The morning sessions last between four and six hours each depending on the number of attendees. The facilitator organises ‘homework’ for the afternoon that usually takes around an hour to complete. This time is also used by the facilitator to write a critique of the session output which is presented the next day.
The aim of the three sessions is to create an Integrated Strategy Map, similar to the illustration below. Our consultants will also record all of the material generated in a Strategy document using a pre-defined template. Please download a copy of the template shown on the right-hand side of this page.
A three-session facilitated workshop based on the balanced scorecard methodology
- Type: Workshop, teaching, and exercises
- Location: On-site (your location)
- Participants: 6-24 people
- Duration: Three consecutive mornings
- Price: Per delegate (please enquire)
The workshop is priced per-delegate depending on the number of delegates attending, please use the contact form below to request pricing.
There is often a tendency during a strategic planning workshop to meander away from the task-in-hand. A skilled strategy workshop facilitator can ensure the participants are led back to the central topic while at the same time allowing space to explore and develop new ideas. Whether it is incorporating a brand new digital strategy or simply revising an existing communications strategy, our facilitators will be a hand to help guide participant in the right direction.
Whether it is incorporating a brand new digital strategy or simply revising an existing communications strategy, our facilitators have decades of experience that can help you develop and structure your ideas to create a plan that will succeed.
Sample Output – Integrated Strategy Map
Click on the strategy map to expand it to full size
- Balanced Scorecard Principles
- Critique of any Material provided
- Exercise 1 – Enablers/Challenges
- Picture of the Future
- Developing a Shared Understanding
- Exercise 2 – Purpose/Vision
- Components of a Value Proposition
- Exercise 3 – List components
- What is a Strategic Theme?
- Exercise 4 – Create Themes and Results
- Review Work to Date
- Balanced Scorecard
- Strategic/Business Objectives
- Strategy Map
- Exercise 1 – Creating Strategic Objectives
- Exercise 2 – Combining the Maps
- Intended Results Overview
- Clarity in language ’Weasel Words’
- Exercise 3 – Write ‘Intended Results’
- Review Work to Date
- Revise Strategic Objectives
- Exercise 1 – Agree Final Strategy Map
- Consolidated Strategy Map – Way Forward
- Intended Results to Performance Measures
- Meaningful Performance Measures
- Exercise 2 – Create some Metrics
- What are Strategic Initiatives?
- Exercise 3a – Create initiatives
- Exercise 3b – Prioritise Initiatives
- Review Final Integrated Strategy Map
Bruce Bultitude, Chairman & Managing Director, Power Jacks